Your money can come from a variety of places.
- If your Employer is working directly with Lively, then Lively will pull your HSA contributions from your Employer (both employer contributions and your payroll deductions)
- If your Employer doesn't work with any HSA provider and tells you to pick your own, then you can provide your Employer with your Lively account number and routing number and they will push funds into your account electronically (via ACH)
- If you are an individual making contributions directly, you can link an external bank account (checking or savings), and make direct contributions
Other non-traditional ways of getting funds into your account include:
- An IRA to HSA transfer - this can be done once in a lifetime and counts against your annual contribution limit. You also have to be eligible to make contributions into an HSA account in the year that you do this.
- A rollover or trustee-to-trustee transfer - this is when you move existing HSA funds from a different provider into Lively.
In all cases, we will send you a tax form at the end of the year showing the total amount of contributions that have been made into your HSA account. If working directly with Lively, you can schedule any 1-time contributions or ongoing monthly contributions. It's up to you.
Source: Internal Revenue Code 223, Health Savings Accounts