The transfer of your HSA to your spouse is not considered a taxable transfer. After the transfer, the former spouse is treated as the HSA account holder. You or your former spouse must request the transfer to the spouse’s name and perform other actions required by financial institution or the law. All HSA rules regarding continued tax-free status, contributions and distributions will still apply
Articles in this section
- What is an HSA?
- How Does an HSA Work?
- What are the benefits of an HSA?
- What are the requirements of an HSA? Am I eligible?
- What designates a qualifying High Deductible Health Plan?
- Do I have to get an HSA if I am on a High Deductible Health Plan?
- How does money get into my HSA account?
- How can I get an HSA?
- If I have a family, can I still have an HSA?
- Can I have a joint-HSA with my spouse?